Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Butterscotch Bars

Not only are these bars a snap to throw together, they are also dense, rich, and delicious.

I find that I don't use vanilla chips very often in my baking, but I'm glad when I do - they can make things so yummy!

Butterscotch Bars
Adapted from this recipe
Makes 16 bars

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar (or honey sucanat)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour (or 4 oz Soft White wheat flour)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup vanilla chips

Preheat your oven to 350ยบ. Grease an 8X8 baking pan.

Add brown sugar to melted butter and whisk. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

Whisk eggs into the butter/sugar mixture. Stir in vanilla extract. Add dry ingredients. Stir until just blended. Pour batter into pan, and spread out evenly. Sprinkle chips on top. (I stirred my chips in).

Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the top is shiny and edges just begin to pull away from the pan. Do not overbake or underbake these - a toothpick inserted in the middle should have moist crumbs attached, but shouldn't be gooey. Cool completely before cutting into bars. (This recipe doubles well, just bake in a 13x9 pan). Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment