Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Carrot Cake

This recipe is one I got from my uncle, who got it from a co-worker, who got it from their dad, who was somewhat of a carrot cake connoisseur. It is SO YUMMY! Moist cake, creamy frosting, a little crunch from the pecans...absolutely delish!

So, thank you Uncle Tony for sharing this recipe with me, and letting me share it with others. It is a winner!

Its optional to add chopped pecans into the cake. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. It just depends on how I'm feeling that day : )

Carrot Cake

Adapted from "Chris' Carrot Cake"
(Recipe courtesy of my uncle)
Serves about 16

2 cups granulated sugar (or honey sucanat)
2 cups flour, sifted (or 10 oz Soft White wheat flour, unsifted)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups oil
4 eggs, beaten
3 cups (freshly) grated carrots
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350º. Grease and flour a 9X13 pan, or parchment, grease and flour three 9-in. cake pans.

Mix dry ingredients. Add oil and eggs. Blend well. Add carrots and pecans (if using). Blend well. Pour into prepared pans and bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes in the 9X13, or 40 minutes in the 9-in. pans. Allow to cool 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. (If using 9-in. pans, remove parchment paper from bottom of layers while cake is still warm).

Cream Cheese Frosting:

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 lb. (16 oz.) confectioner's sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Cream butter and cream cheese. Sift in confectioner's sugar, and add vanilla. Blend well, until nice and smooth. Stir in pecans until incorporated. Frost cooled cake. (I store my cake in the refrigerator, and just let it come to room temp before serving). Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment